Arquivo do blog

Fran shoots film


Why do you shoot film, Fran?

I have always been drawn to images taken with a film camera because it captures light and flaws beautifully. By shooting film, I am not only learning the basics of photography but I am also learning everyday to become a better observer and be more appreciative of imperfections.

In such a fast-paced, technology-driven world where everything is handed to us 'right now', I also like how film slows me down to get the shot right the first time then having to wait days, sometimes weeks, before finding out if I really did. And if didn't, I don't beat myself up coz a bad roll will remind me of what I did wrong and learn from it. It's not something I could delete and forget about. Having said that, the human element involve in film is very present which makes it raw, honest and a lot more personal.

Film is also predictable in so many ways and yet it has a huge room for serendipitous moments and random surprises and that's a good thing. Shooting film reminds me constantly that there's fun in leaving some things to chance, not knowing and letting surprises knock at my door every now and then.


You can see more of Fran's on her Flickr and blog.